Accountability

FILE - This Sept. 5, 2007, file photo shows credit card decals on a store window in the Hollywood section of Los Angeles. isa, MasterCard and major banks agreed to pay retailers at least $6 billion to settle a long-running lawsuit that alleged the card issuers conspired to fix the fees that stores pay to accept credit cards. As part of the settlement, announced late Friday, July 13 stores from Rite Aid to Kroger will be allowed to charge customers more if they pay using a credit card. (AP Photo/Nick Ut, File)

Visa, MasterCard in $6B settlement over card fees

By The Associated Press

NEW YORK (AP) — Visa, MasterCard and major banks agreed to pay retailers at least $6 billion to settle a long-running lawsuit that alleged the card issuers conspired to fix the fees that stores pay to accept credit cards. As part of the settlement, announced late Friday, stores from Rite Aid to Kroger will be allowed to charge customers more if they pay using a credit card.

The pact, which is being called by lawyers involved in the case the largest antitrust settlement in U.S. history, is seen as a major victory for merchants that have long complained about the billions of dollars in so-called "swipe" or "interchange" fees that they pay to banks for purchases made using plastic. But at a time when shoppers increasingly are using credit and debit cards, merchants will face a dilemma: Whether to charge shoppers extra for using plastic, and if so, how to do so without angering them.

Marilyn Landis, who was last year's chairman of the National Small Business Association, said that the settlement is a victory for small businesses across the country because it could ultimately lead to banks lowering the fees they charge stores for customers' credit card purchases.

Landis, who owns Pittsburgh-based financial services firm Basic Business Concepts, said that would be a big relief. She's now paying 3.75 percent each time a customer pays with a credit card. If bank card companies reduce the fees they charge her to 2.75 percent, she would save a dollar on every $100 in sales.

"That's huge," she said.

According to the National Retail Federation, the nation's largest retail group, swipe fees costs for stores total about $30 billion per year. Mallory Duncan, senior vice president and general counsel for the group, said the settlement is a step in the right direction.

Accountability

2 plead guilty in Miss. chemotherapy fraud case

By The Associated Press

JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — A cancer doctor and her former billing agent pleaded guilty Friday for their parts in a multimillion-dollar health care fraud case in which prosecutors said old needles were reused, chemotherapy drugs were diluted and public and private insurance was overbilled millions.

Dr. Meera Sachdeva, who founded the Rose Cancer Center in the south Mississippi town of Summit in 2005, pleaded guilty in U.S. District Court in Jackson to one count of health care fraud and two counts of making false statements.

Standing before the judge wearing black-framed glasses and shackles with her long black hair draped over an orange prison jumpsuit, the 50-year-old doctor looked straight ahead while her lawyer denied the most serious allegations that she diluted chemotherapy drugs.

One of her patients, 76-year-old Wayne Spring, watched intently and left the court disappointed. He told The Associated Press that he contracted two bacterial infections from the clinic and now has regular tests for HIV and hepatitis. He beat cancer, but the ordeal left him shaken.

"She liked to have killed me," Spring said. "I'm disappointed in the whole thing."

Sachdeva faces up to 20 years in prison. If convicted on all counts she could have faced up to 165 years in prison and more than $3.2 million in fines.

Spring's son, Kirk, wanted Sachdeva to admit to the more serious allegations and was disappointed most of the charges were dropped.

"She's going to pay her due. No matter what happens in here, she will pay her due one day," he said just outside the courtroom.

Accountability

Auditors say billions likely wasted in Iraq work

By The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — After years of following the paper trail of $51 billion in U.S. taxpayer dollars provided to rebuild a broken Iraq, the U.S. government can say with certainty that too much was wasted. But it can't say how much.

In what it called its final audit report, the Office of the Special Inspector General for Iraq Reconstruction Funds on Friday spelled out a range of accounting weaknesses that put "billions of American taxpayer dollars at risk of waste and misappropriation" in the largest reconstruction project of its kind in U.S. history.

"The precise amount lost to fraud and waste can never be known," the report said.

The auditors found huge problems accounting for the huge sums, but one small example of failure stood out: A contractor got away with charging $80 for a pipe fitting that its competitor was selling for $1.41. Why? The company's billing documents were reviewed sloppily by U.S. contracting officers or were not reviewed at all.

With dry understatement, the inspector general said that while he couldn't pinpoint the amount wasted, it "could be substantial."

Asked why the exact amount squandered can never be determined, the inspector general's office referred The Associated Press to a report it did in February 2009 titled "Hard Lessons," in which it said the auditors — much like the reconstruction managers themselves — faced personnel shortages and other hazards.

"Given the vicissitudes of the reconstruction effort — which was dogged from the start by persistent violence, shifting goals, constantly changing contracting practices and undermined by a lack of unity of effort — a complete accounting of all reconstruction expenditures is impossible to achieve," the report concluded.

Accountability

Wells Fargo to pay $175M in lending settlement

By The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Wells Fargo Bank will pay at least $175 million to settle accusations that it discriminated against African-American and Hispanic borrowers in violation of fair-lending laws, the Justice Department announced Thursday.

Wells Fargo, the nation's largest residential home mortgage originator, allegedly engaged in a pattern or practice of discrimination against qualified African-American and Hispanic borrowers from 2004 through 2009.

At a news conference, Deputy Attorney General James Cole said the bank's discriminatory lending practices resulted in more than 34,000 African-American and Hispanic borrowers in 36 states and the District of Columbia paying higher rates for loans solely because of the color of their skin.

Cole said that with the settlement, the second largest of its kind in history, the government will ensure that borrowers hit hard by the housing crisis will have an opportunity to access homeownership.

The bank will pay $125 million in compensation for borrowers who were steered into subprime mortgages or who paid higher fees and rates than white borrowers because of their race or national origin rather than because of differences in credit-worthiness.

Wells Fargo also will pay $50 million in direct down payment assistance to borrowers in areas of the country where the Justice Department identified large number of discrimination victims. Those areas are Washington, D.C., Chicago, Philadelphia, Oakland and San Francisco, New York City, Cleveland, Riverside, Calif., and Baltimore.

"The department's action makes clear that we will hold financial institutions accountable, including some of the nation's largest, for lending discrimination," Cole said.

Accountability

In this Tuesday, July 10, 2012 photo, people walk by the recruiters at a jobs fair in the Pittsburgh suburb of Green Tree, Pa. The number of people seeking unemployment benefits plunged last week to the lowest level in four years, a hopeful sign for the struggling job market. But the decline was partly due to temporary factors. (AP Photo/Keith Srakocic)

Fewer auto closings reduce US unemployment claims

By The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — The number of people seeking U.S. unemployment benefits plunged last week. But a big reason is that automakers have skipped some of their usual summer shutdowns to keep up with demand, causing fewer temporary auto layoffs.

Economists expect the number of Americans seeking unemployment aid to go back up in coming weeks.

The auto industry's recovery has helped support the struggling U.S. economy. U.S. auto sales in the first half of the year jumped 15 percent over the same period a year ago. Sales of new vehicles surged in June. Automakers also began Independence Day promotions early, lifting sales at the end of the month.

The Labor Department adjusts the number of applications for unemployment aid to account for seasonal factors. But it didn't anticipate fewer temporary shutdowns of auto plants this summer — and fewer auto layoffs. That distorted the seasonally adjusted data it released Thursday.

And that may largely explain why applications for unemployment aid tumbled 26,000 last week to a seasonally adjusted 350,000 — the fewest since March 2008.

"Take July with a grain of salt," Jill Brown, an economist at Credit Suisse, said in a note to clients. The auto shutdowns "often cause extreme volatility."

Automakers traditionally close their plants in the first two weeks in July to prepare them to build new models, and their employees often file for unemployment benefits. But Ford Motor Co. said in May that it would reduce its usual two-week closing to just one week. And Chrysler canceled the normal two-week shutdowns at three factories.

Accountability

FACT CHECK: Truth about tax rate talking points

By FactCheck.Org

Politicians talk about the burden of taxes incessantly. Now comes a rare chance to check the facts. And the fact is that federal tax rates had fallen to the lowest in 30 years when President Barack Obama took office — and fell again in his first year in office.

This news comes from the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office, which just issued the latest update of its invaluable series on “Distribution of Household Income and Federal Taxes,” this time covering 2008 and 2009. The CBO’s statistical series now covers the 30 years since 1979.

The average rate paid by all households for all federal taxes combined — including income taxes, payroll taxes, excise taxes (on such things as gasoline, tobacco and alcoholic beverages) and individuals’ share of corporate income taxes — hit its highest rate during the period in 2000, just before President George W. Bush began signing the tax cuts that are scheduled to expire next year (unless Congress extends them again).

The all-household rate was 22.7 percent the year before Bush took office, then declined to 19.9 percent in 2007 (lower than in any year before he took office) and plunged again to 18 percent in the recession year of 2008. That was the lowest until the following year, Obama’s first, when it dropped again to 17.4 percent.

Much of the decline in 2008 and 2009 was due to the collapsing economy. The worst recession since the Great Depression of the 1930s began in December 2007. There were fewer corporate profits to tax, for one thing. And upper-level households, which pay the highest rates, also saw their incomes plunge along with the stock market and tumbling real-estate prices.

Accountability

Gov't auditors doubt legality of Medicare bonuses

By The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — Government auditors Wednesday questioned the legality of a costly Medicare bonus program, escalating a running skirmish in the broader battle over President Barack Obama's health care law and its consequences for seniors.

In a letter to the administration, Government Accountability Office General Counsel Lynn Gibson wrote that the nonpartisan agency remains concerned about Medicare's legal authority to undertake the $8.3 billion Medicare Advantage quality bonus program.

Launched well after the overhaul passed, the bonus program effectively restored some of the cuts that the legislation made to popular private insurance plans within the giant health care program for seniors and disabled people.

The sheer size of the bonuses immediately raised eyebrows, as did the fact that most of the money was going to plans rated about average. Sen. Orrin Hatch, R-Utah, called it a wasteful political ploy.

Medicare's assertion that the program is fully legal "does not resolve our concerns," the GAO's Gibson wrote to Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius. The letter coincided with a partisan House vote to repeal the health care law. The GAO, however, is a nonpartisan agency that serves as the investigative arm of Congress.

In a statement, Medicare spokesman Brian Cook said there is "longstanding precedent" for such programs "with Republican and Democratic administrations using this authority in this way."

A spokeswoman for Hatch said the senator is weighing his options in light of new legal questions about the bonuses.

If Republicans try to take away the money, it could backfire politically. That happened before with Democrats on the receiving end of seniors' disapproval.

Accountability

Obama calls for rise in small business write-offs

By The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama is calling on Congress to increase the amount of investments small businesses can expense next year.

The White House says Obama wants lawmakers to let small businesses write off up to $250,000 in expenses. Officials say the initiative is included in Obama's proposal earlier this week for Congress to end tax cuts for families making more than $250,000 a year.

Republicans says ending the tax cuts would lead to a tax hike on small businesses owners. A spokesman for House Speaker John Boehner says the president's announcement Wednesday would be "no solace" for small businesses facing a tax increase.

Obama also signed executive orders that the White House says accelerate federal payments, reduce paperwork, and make it easier for small businesses to access loans and tax credits.

Accountability

Barack Obama
President Barack Obama waves as he boards Air Force One at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., Tuesday, July 10, 2012, for a flight to Cedar Rapids, Iowa. (AP Photo/Cliff Owen)

Obama to mix policy with politics

By The Associated Press

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama will meet behind closed doors with Democratic congressional leaders at the White House Wednesday.

The gathering will focus on the president's plan to extend Bush-era tax cuts for the middle class, as well as job-creating initiatives.

The meeting comes as Obama hits the campaign trail with a renewed call to retain decade-old tax rates for households earning less than $250,000 a year while letting taxes rise for households earning more. The tax cuts expire at year's end.

The White House says Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi will be among those in attendance.

Pages