The tangled trail of the Magnitsky Affair, a case that’s strained U.S.-Russian relations and blocked American adoptions of Russian orphans, snakes through an offshore haven in the Caribbean.
The death of Moscow tax attorney Sergei Magnitsky sparked international outrage. It also fueled a push to unravel secret deals that had prompted him to claim that gangsters and government insiders had stolen $230 million from Russia’s treasury.
Magnitsky and other private attorneys investigating the affair on behalf of a major hedge fund followed a path from Russia to bank accounts in Switzerland and luxury properties in Dubai — ending up at a small firm based in the British Virgin Islands that specializes in setting up offshore companies for clients who want to remain in the shadows.
This is the story of behind-the-scenes players in the Magnitsky affair — and the tale of how an offshore go-between provided shelter to fraudsters, money launderers and other shady characters from Russia, Eastern Europe and the United States.
Click through to ICIJ.org to continue reading.
MORE IN THIS SERIES
- François Hollande’s Campaign Treasurer’s Investments in the Cayman Islands
- Caribbean Go-Between Provided Shelter for Far-Away Frauds, Documents Show
- Philippine Government to Probe Marcos Daughter’s Offshore Trust
- Deutsche Bank Helped Customers Maintain Hundreds of Offshore Entities
- Who Uses the Offshore World
- Elites Undermine Putin Rail Against Tax Havens
- Ponzi Scheme Used Offshore Hideaways To Shuffle Investors’ Money
- Taxmen Have Little Clue of Offshore Companies Owned by Greeks
- Map: Key Tax Haven Clients In the World
- Ferdinand Marcos’ Daughter Tied to Offshore Trust in Caribbean
- Disclosure of secret offshore documents may force top Mongolian lawmaker to resign
- How ICIJ’s Project Team Analyzed the Offshore Files
- Canadian Senator's Husband Shifted Money Into Offshore Tax Havens
- Offshore companies provide link between corporate mogul and Azerbaijan’s president
- Interactive: Gunter Sachs' Offshore Network
- 'Crony' of African Strongman Among Thai Names in Secret Offshore Files
- Interactive: Stash Your Cash
- Mega-Rich Use Tax Havens to Buy and Sell Masterpieces
- Key Findings
- Secret Files Expose Offshore’s Global Impact
- About This Project: Secrecy For Sale
- Nominee Directors Linked to Intelligence, Military
- Cosmetic surgery tycoon had secret offshore company
- Britons Snapped Up Luxury Villas on Thai Island
- Post-Soviet Billionaires Invade UK ... Via British Virgin Islands
- Interactive: We Reveal Who's Buying Up Britain
- Who’s Buying Britain? Probe Reveals Real Estate Speculators Hidden By Offshore Alchemy
- One Block in London, Many Secret Owners
- Video: How To Dodge Tax
- Front Men Disguise the Offshore Game's Real Players
- ‘Fatal Blow’ Against Sham Corporate Directors Not So Fatal After All
- Meet the Queen of Nevis
- British Virgin Islands Well-Known for Sunny Beaches – and Strict Secrecy
- How the nominee trick works
- Inside the shell: Drugs, arms and tax scams