Key findings from our investigation into racial disparities between nursing homes
- Majority-white nursing homes had average registered nurse care levels 60 percent higher than Latino-majority homes and 34 percent higher than black facilities.
- Majority-black nursing homes averaged about 20 minutes of registered nurse care per day.
- Among the states with the highest disparities between majority black and white nursing homes: Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin.
- Chicago and Houston had the greatest gaps in registered nurse staffing levels between black and white-majority facilities.
- San Antonio and Brownsville, Texas had among the lowest registered nurse staffing levels for majority-Latino homes.