Key findings from the Center's mobile home investigation
- Clayton Homes, owned by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway, makes more mobile home loans than any competitor by a factor of six.
- Warren Buffett’s Clayton Homes operates under at least 18 names, leading many buyers to think they’re shopping around.
- Warren Buffett’s Clayton Homes lends at interest rates that can top 15 percent, and often adds thousands in fees to borrowers’ loans.
- Clayton customers report deceptive and predatory deals including loan terms that changed abruptly, surprise fees and pressure to take on excessive payments.
- Former dealers said Clayton Homes encouraged them to steer buyers to finance with Clayton’s own high-interest lenders.