Key findings from the Center's pipeline to prison investigation
- Referrals of students to law enforcement nationwide in 2011-12 occurred at a rate of 6 for every 1,000 students, with 19 states surpassing that rate.
- Virginia led all states with a rate of almost 16 referrals per 1,000, followed by Delaware and Florida.
- In Virginia, where preteens have been arrested for disorderly conduct, referrals raise questions about whether police are too involved in discipline.
- Special-needs students were 14 percent of U.S. enrollment, but represented 26 percent of students referred to law enforcement.
- African-American students were 16 percent of U.S. enrollment, but represented 27 percent of students referred to law enforcement.