Key findings from our investigation
- Actor Daniel Craig gave nearly $50,000 to a pro-Bernie Sanders super PAC led by man with a history of financial and legal woes.
- Americans Socially United, a purportedly pro-Bernie Sanders super PAC, is led by Cary Lee Peterson — a man who’s routinely run afoul of creditors and the law.
- Super PAC operator Cary Lee Peterson once stiffed one of the nation’s largest news companies out of a six-figure sum — and is a wanted man in Arizona.
- Americans Socially United's website, BetonBernie.com, has attracted donors who don't realize it isn't connected to Bernie Sanders' campaign.
- Americans Socially United is using the monikers 'Bet on Bernie' and 'Ready for Bernie Sanders' on several social media websites — an apparent violation of FEC rules.