- Big Tobacco has maintained an extensive state lobbying network of more than 450 registered lobbyists around the country, among a select group with representatives in every state in recent years.
- Tobacco companies have used lobbying muscle, “grassroots” groups and other allies to defeat tax hikes and regulations in dozens of states.
- At least 19 states have adopted language written by tobacco companies to protect e-cigarettes from taxes and regulation.
- California is the top focus of Big Tobacco’s political giving, attracting at least two-thirds of all contributions to state politics since 2011.
- Tobacco companies and health groups are gearing up for a bitter, expensive fight in California with a cigarette tax ballot measure planned for the fall.