Great data journalism and data-led storytelling are at the heart of the work of The Center for Public Integrity, the Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative news non-profit. We’d like to hire a new data storyteller to join our team.
We’re looking for a skilled news application developer/data journalist. The successful applicant will join data journalists, web production staff and experienced investigative journalists to create compelling stories told with interactive news graphics, data-driven visualizations, video and news apps.
The ideal candidate will be motivated by the prospect of translating great journalism to enhance audience understanding and engagement as well as pursuing their own original ideas. S/he will likewise bring an innovative approach to story presentation and be a creative troubleshooter.
This is a great opportunity for someone who enjoys a congenial workplace, an extraordinarily compelling mission, and a setting filled with dynamic ideas, engaging personalities, and game-changing journalism. The Center for Public Integrity has long punched above its weight in industry awards and journalistic impact, driven by the skills of its team members and great commitment.
The Center’s team recently won awards of excellence from the Society of News Design with portfolios that demonstrate the breadth of work we do and the quality of the storytelling and innovation. The work speaks for itself and is perhaps the best way a candidate can assess the merits of joining us.
The Center for Public Integrity is committed to hiring employees from diverse backgrounds with excellent investigative journalism skills. People of color, women, LGBTQ, and differently-abled people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Responsibilities and Expectations
- Visualizing, developing, producing and implementing interactive and visual journalism – including interactive news graphics, data-driven visualizations, and news apps – to enhance user engagement
- Developing new methods of digital storytelling for investigative journalism
- Working with editors, reporters, and data analysts to ensure the Center’s investigations are being presented and explained visually.
Desired Skills and Qualifications
- Motivated by translating great journalism for the screen to enhance audience understanding and engagement.
- Experience in both analyzing and visualizing datasets.
- An understanding of how to explain complex news stories visually.
- Grounding in current best practices in user experience, digital content design, and web development standards.
- Experience with responsive/adaptive design techniques, particularly CSS3 media queries, for both mobile and embeddable widget design.
- Experience working with and managing Git repositories.
- Ability to handle multiple and complex projects simultaneously under stringent timeframes and changing priorities/conditions.
- Ability to work collaboratively in a multi-disciplinary team environment.
- Graphics background a plus.
- Sound news judgment and passion for investigative and watchdog reporting.
- Experience creating Mustache-style templates is preferred
- Experience working with PHP, Node.js or similar high-level languages; bonus points for experience with frameworks.
- Experience managing CSS through a preprocessor (LESS, SASS,etc.) is preferred.
- Experience with manipulating SVG using D3.js, Ractive or similar is preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Non-supervisory position.
- Some evening/weekend work occasionally required.
Please click here to apply. Be sure to include links to examples of your work, your portfolio or a GitHub profile.